Friday, December 31, 2010

The Sky Is Blue Unless I Say Otherwise

by DAVID
BROOKS
"Our most vibrant institutions are collective, not individual...."


That's correct.  I really said that.  Right in the New York Times.  That's my hinge for an entire argument I've made in a column.  Think about it: Our most vibrant institutions are not 'individual'.  I actually was paid to write that.


Of course, as Merriam-Webster.com defines "institution" as a "significant practice, relationship, or organization in a society or culture," and since humans are by nature social animals and 99% of our behavior occurs, one way or another, in a social context (if not 100%), you might be confused as to what the hell I'm talking about.  Perhaps you're thinking, perhaps he means something like, "groups are not individuals?"  And that is why deficits are good (as long as it's Republicans voting for them). Again, go figure.


But frankly, if you're looking for something profound in my columns, good luck to you, you're an idiot.  But thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment