Thursday, March 10, 2011

Communication Enhances Communication

As usual, I've come up with yet another brilliant insight which most of you, able to only see the ripples and waves upon the surface of the ocean of life, have missed.  But using my special gift to penetrate below the surface and see into the deeper significance of pretty much fucking everything,  I now present my important and penetrating observations in a manner which shall no doubt blow your fucking mind:

Communication is essential to communication.  

Amazing, isn't it?  (It's amazing to me (and I'm sure, you) how often I amaze myself.  And yet it happens, day after day, week after week, year after year.)

Yes, when people employ 'communication', incredible things happen.  For example, take a seemingly useless study of using email to solve math problems.  Turns out people don't do this as well with email as they do in person.  The ordinary person with any degree of skepticism or insight would probably say, 'Well email isn't really designed for solving math problems.'  But I, having penetrated to the real meaning of things, have deduced that when people are in the same room, they can then engage in this act of 'communication'--or as I like to call it, 'talking'.  Via this 'talking' process, people can exchange things such as 'words' and 'sentences'.  Sometimes these sentences may even contain what I like to refer to as 'ideas'.  Furthermore, while engaging in this word-and-sentence exchange process, people can also do things such as 'pointing', 'nodding', and even, 'using-paper-and-pencil-to-solve-math-problems.'  Have you ever tried to use a paper-and-pencil on Twitter? Not all that easy, is it?

What becomes even more intriguing is that this 'talking' process occurs in other places.  In other words, people don't simply 'talk' while doing math problems for some totally useless psychological research whose only function is to anchor a master's thesis.  People engage in this 'talking' at universities and businesses.  It's almost as though these so-called 'colleges' were designed to bring people into geographic proximity so that they could 'talk' and 'learn' while engaging in 'communication' with one another.  I'm quite sure, however, that I'm the first human being to have noticed that proximity facilitates 'talking to other people.'  After all, email has been around for decades, whereas colleges have been around for centuries.  If I were to do the math, I'm sure we would find that email is the antecedent to colleges.  But let's leave that to mathematicians.  I don't really care for numbers.  The point is is that I dove down below the surface of the waves, braved the deadly deep, and like the heroes of old, returned with a shiny brass ring from the underworld.  Me. David Brooks.  You can't do it. Nope.




#davidbrooks

No comments:

Post a Comment